Pakistan has still taken considerable green initiatives to cope with climate change, deforestation, and waste issues. Pakistan is also on its way to achieving the UN’sSustainable Development Goals. This article will give insights intothe rise of environmental consciousness in Pakistan, notable green initiatives,and prospects of sustainability in Pakistan.
The Rise of Environmental Consciousness in Pakistan
- Environmental Awareness Movements:
Climate Action March: The march against climate change in Pakistan, organized by Climate Action Now, happened on 20th September2019.It took place all over the world and in nearly 26 cities inPakistan.
The Green Youth Movement:The Green Youth Movement was launched in 2022 under Imran Khan’s Youth program. This will create jobs for the young generation and empower them to promote green growth and eco-friendlypractices in Pakistan.
- Government’s Role in Promoting Green Awareness
Pakistan’s Government is playing its role in dealing with environmental issues. It has taken many initiatives at the national, provincial, and city levels. For Example, Clean and Green Pakistan, The Ten Billion Tree Tsunami, the Recharge Pakistan Project, the Renewable Energy Policy, the Protected Areas Initiative, and Thar Million Tree Plantation.
Notable Green Initiatives Across the Nation
- Clean and Green Pakistan is a government initiative launched by Prime Minister Imran Khan in October 2018. It’s a five-year plan model from 2018 to 2022.The main purpose of this program is to motivate and compelindividuals of every age to participate in healthy and green activities like tree plantation, cleanliness, waste management, good sanitation, healthy drinking water
- The Ten Billion Tree Tsunami Project is another initiative of the government to make Pakistan greener and climate resilient. It was started in 2015 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. Then in 2019, Prime minter Imran Khan launched this project nationally. Its objective is to increase forestation and reverse the ecological degradation.
- Clean Energy Adoption: Quaid-e-Azam Solar Power is the first energy project of CPEC. It is located in the CholistanDesert, Punjab. It helps meet the growing need for energy in Pakistan and reduces dependency on fossil fuels, making the environment friendly for living.
- Waste Reduction Initiatives: The plasticbag ban was imposed by the government to stop the manufacturing, distributing, selling, and use of polythenebags. This is regulated by the Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Impact and Benefits of Environmental Sustainability
- Improvements in Air and Water Quality:In Pakistan, euro2 petrol, diesel,and dumping of industrial waste in waterproduced high air pollution and water pollution. Pakistan can promote theuseof electric vehicles,prefer sustainable public transportation and hybrid cars, and installa water treatment plan. It can improve its air and water quality index.
- Economic Advantages of Sustainability: Renewable energy sources are cheaper than fossil energy.organic food is a good export option. Climate stability will reduce expenses incurred in floods and health issues.
- Enhancing Quality of Life: An individual can enjoy their life by becoming sustainable. Lower expenses, good food intake, and better health conditionswill lead to a happy life.
Challenges and Future Prospects
- Overcoming Hurdles to Sustainability:Air, water, and land pollution are the main challenges everyone faces today. To overcome these hurdles individuals and communities must understand what their activities are doing with their surroundings. The government must take strict action against environmental violations.
- Education and Outreach Programs: Thegovernment and NGOs must create awareness about green and sustainable activities. At Schools, college, and universitylevels, ecofriendly and plantation activities and contests to encourage the young generation towards environmental consciousness.
- The Road Ahead for Pakistan’s Environmental Consciousness: Increasedenvironmental degradation has compelled people and the government to take immediate steps to preserve our ecosystem. If laws and policies are strengthened and proper checks and balanceswill happen then Pakistan can achieve sustainable development goals.
In Pakistan, environmental consciousness is increasing. Environmental movements and green initiatives are taken to deal with the effectsof climate change and deforestation. Renewable energy and proper waste management steps are in process. This will givethe benefit of a healthy environment, economic growth, and enhanced quality of life. Sustainability hurdles can be overcome by giving education and applying strictactions against environmental harm.
This article is wetiirn by tehreem ishfaq who is intern at Perspective.pk